- José Miguel Fayos-Jordán
- A3 Score (paper or digital) A4 parts (digital only)
Bb Clarinets 1-2-3
Soprano Sax. (optional)
Alto Sax. 1-2
Bb Trumpet 1-2-3
Flugelhorn (optional or trumpet 4)
Horn in F 1-2-3-4
Euphonium (C) 1-2
Double Bass (optional)
- Timpani: Timpani (3) (30’’-28’’-25’’), Suspended Cymbal (sizzle).
Percussion 1: Glockenspiel, Bongos (2), Rain Stick, Maracas, Triangle, Suspended Cymbal (ride), Temple blocks (5), Glass Cups [F-G-A-B-C(2)-C#-D(2)]
- Percussion 2: Vibraphone, Tom-Toms (4), Suspended Cymbal (crash), Glass Cups [F#-A-Bb]
- Percussion 3: Tubular bells, Church Bell (preferably low and not tuned), Tam-Tam, Mark Tree.
Commissioned by the International Music Festival of La Mancha (Spain) to commemorate the fourth centenary of the death of El Greco. The work aims to honor the figure of the painter by the translating to sound of some of the most characteristic features of his painting, especially the last time. For this we start 4 basic ideas:
- The superposition of sound spaces that oppose dark sonorities to very bright and colorful sonorities.
- The movement and exchange of sound planes following the concept of figure and background.
- A harmonic system based on spectralism from the vibrational frequencies of the main colors used by El Greco; Yellow (Bb), Green (B-C), Blue (C#-D) and Red (F#-G-Ab-A).
- The use of the motet "Asperges Me" by C. Morales (that appears in the recently discovered Codex 25 of the Cathedral of Toledo) as a quotation, in a veiled way or direct, through processes of deconstruction and transformation.